This post is also available in german/deutsch
Chocolate Lemon Cake – always when I go to the supermarket my eyes hang on lemons. I love the form, the color and the taste. And lemon and chocolate are a win win combination. I love the sweetness of chocolate and the sour juicy taste of lemon.
For this recipe we need lemon zest. So it´s really important to use organic lemons.
( You should always grab to organic untreated fruits)
If you don´t find any, use finished grated lemons in the baking area.
Chocolate Lemon Cake
Chocolate Lemon Cake
- 300 gr spelt flour
- 200 gr. all purpose flour
- 1 sachet baking powder 10gr.
- a pinch of salt
- 3/4 tsp vanilla powder/extract
- 2 organic eggs room temperature
- 200 gr. plant based butter softened + extra for greasing
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 100 ml plant based milk + more I used oat milk. room temperature
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Thoroughly brush a 30 cm cake tin with butter. Cover with bread crumbs.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Stir in the vanilla extract/powder.
- Mix together the baking powder, flour and lemon zest.
- Beat in one egg at a time to the butter cream, making sure they are fully incorporated before adding another one. Repeat until all two eggs have been added, then fold in the remaining flour mixture and stir in the milk.
- Spoon 3/4 of the cake batter into the cake tin. Add the cacao powder to the rest of the mixture and cover the cake.
- Cut the cake batter lengthwise with a sharp knife.
- Bake for around 50-60 minutes and then test the cake to see if a skewer inserted into the deepest part comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes then invert on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If you like more chocolate make the batter 1/2 lemon and 1/2 chocolate and make a marble effect with a knife.
If you like you can Pin our Pictures on Pinterest.
©klaraslife. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Klaraslife.