A summery Mediterranean stew with fennel beans and pepper bells. The fennel bean stew reminds us of warm summery days in the south.
Fennel bean stew
- 150 g flageolet beans
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 green onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 pinch of fennel seeds
- 1 small chilli pepper
- 1 pinch of cane sugar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- Orange zest about a slice thinly planed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can 400g chopped peeled tomatoes
- 5 g fresh rosemary
- 8 g fresh thyme
- 375 g fennel
- 4 cl red port wine
- 130 ml dry rosé wine
- 400 g red pepper
- 8 g fresh oregano
- Soak the beans in water for 24 hours, discard the soaking water, fill up with fresh water and cook until soft.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the chopped garlic cloves and the finely chopped onion.
- Add the fennel seeds, pepper, chilli pepper and a pinch of cane sugar. Then add the tomato paste and fry as well. Now add the paprika powder, the bay leaf, the orange zest and 250 ml hot water and deglaze everything.
- Now stir in the peeled tomatoes and the finely chopped rosemary needles and thyme leaves.
- Let everything simmer on a low flame. Add the port, the fennel cut into small pieces and the pre-cooked beans.
- Keep the fennel greens separately.
- Now pour in the rose wine and season with sea salt. Finally add the pepper pieces and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Turn off the stove and mix in the finely chopped oregano leaves and the finely chopped fennel greens. Let something go.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving.
- Enjoy your meal out there!
- You can also use white beans.
Leave us a comment on the blog!
If you try this fennel bean stew recipes, please leave us a comment how you liked it.
If you like you can Pin our Pictures on Pinterest.
©klaraslife. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Klaraslife.