This post is also available in german/deutsch
Hearty Pea Stew for cold days. This was my favorite stew from my childhood and it´s a typical german hearty meal.
Hearty Pea Stew
- 240 g of dried green peel peas soaked in 1.5 liters of water for 24 hours
- 3 carrots diced
- 1/4 piece of celery tuber diced
- 4 potatoes diced
- 1 bunch of marjoram chopped or 2 tablespoons of dried marjoram
- Smooth parsley as much as you like
- 1 l vegetable broth + more
- salt and pepper
- Drain the peas. Add back to the pot, cover with fresh water and simmer for 30 minutes.
- If you have a pressure cooker you can skip this step. When the peas are almost soft after half an hour, I pour the water off.
- Personally, I do not use the pea cooking water. If you do not have any problems you can leave them in the water for a while.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the carrots and celery.
- Add peas and broth or pea cooking water. Possibly add more liquid when using pea cooking water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 50 minutes over medium heat. After 20 minutes, add the potato and cook until the soup turns creamy. Depending on the consistency, add more broth.
- The soup should be creamy.
- Season with pepper, salt and marjoram.
Did you make a recipe?
©klaraslife. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Klaraslife.