Apple Hand Pies
These Apple Hand Pies are a welcome present for autumn. The leaves are falling, it is cooler and you can put your beloved knitted sweaters. This is one of my favorite season. It taste so good with vanilla ice cream, coconut cream/yogurt, a cup of coffee or tea.
If you like it super quick use puff pastry from the supermarket. If you look closely you`ll find good produced puff pastry products. Do you want to use that: follow the instruction below.
Sometimes I wonder how many are strongly opposed to finished products. There is now a wide selection of good products with very good ingredients. In primarily I love it to produce the things themselves. But every now and then when the time or the muse is missing, I use produced puff pastry. For a homemade puff pastry, I recommend this recipe from Izzy
For the filling you can also add nutmeg or vanilla.
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes, vegan butter
- 2-3 tbsp very cold water, or more
- 2 cups apples peeled, cored in very small diced
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- For brushing:
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, if you are vegan brush the pies with maple syrup and let the sugar off
- Coarse or granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- Add all dough ingredients in a large bowl. combine all to a homogeneous dough.
- Wrap in a plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 10-15 minutes until firm.
- Add all ingredients in a large bowl and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425F/220C.
- Roll out the dough. On a floured surface, roll out the dough to ⅛-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch cookie cutter, cut out as many circles as you can. Reroll the scraps of dough and repeat.
- Transfer half of the circles to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush the edges with egg wash. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of the filling in the center of each circle, leaving a border around the filling. Place the remaining circles on top to form a pie.
- Using a fork, crimp around the edges to seal. Cut a small x-shaped slit in the center of each pie center to let steam escape while baking.
- Brush tops with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar. Or with maple syrup if you are vegan.
- Bake until golden brown and filling is bubbling, about 15 minutes. Let
- cool for 15 minutes.
Love Klara xoxo
Ceramic by Brostecopenhagen